Media accreditation for JFL42, Toronto's comedy festival, is now open. Please click here to submit an application. Accreditation closes on September 5 at 5:00 pm ET and no applications will be accepted after that time.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
JFL42 IS BACK WITH AN ALL-STAR LINEUP HEADLINED BY SETH MEYERS, LENA DUNHAM, AMY SCHUMER, JOE ROGAN, NICK OFFERMAN, AND WANDA SYKES!
PLUS: CHELSEA PERETTI, MIKE BIRBIGLIA, TIG NOTARO, TIM MINCHIN, DOUG BENSON, CHRIS D'ELIA, PAUL F. TOMPKINS, KUMAIL NANJIANI, BROAD CITY AND MORE!
Toronto's Third Annual Interactive Comedy Festival Returns from September 18-27
Toronto, June 3, 2014 – The third annual JFL42 Festival, presented in association with Air Canada, is set to take over Toronto again this fall with its biggest and most star-studded lineup to date featuring eight headlining performances at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts by Seth Meyers, Lena Dunham, Nick Offerman, Amy Schumer, Joe Rogan, and Wanda Sykes. Over one hundred additional shows will take place at various venues across the city from September 18 – 27, 2014. Festival passes go on-sale Friday, June 6 at 11:00am.
JFL42 is a pass-based interactive comedy Festival created by Just For Laughs. Pass holders are given the opportunity to see their chosen headliner plus all the 42 Festival acts over 10 days along with the freedom to create their own schedule and experience. In turn, the demand created by pass holders for each of the Festival acts dictates how many shows they will perform and in what size venue. It's all processed through JFL42's custom online reservation system and Festival App.
This year's headlining performers are as follows:
- Seth Meyers (September 27 at 7:00pm and 10:00pm): The host of NBC's Late Night and former SNL star comes to Toronto with a headline stand up set filled with his trademark wit and unbelievable charm. These performances will be his first in Toronto after hosting the Emmy's this coming August and since being named one of TIME's "100 Most Influential People in the World" for 2014.
- Lena Dunham (September 20 at 7:00pm): This is the exclusive opportunity to hear from the star and creator of HBO's Girls — including a Q&A and special reading from her upcoming collection of essays Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's
"Learned" before it hits bookshelves.
- Amy Schumer (September 19 at 7:00pm): Schumer has quickly become one of the top-touring comedians working today with her shows selling out across North America. She is the creator, star and writer of her own Comedy Central show, Inside Amy Schumer, which broke TV ratings records from its first night on the air and is currently filming her upcoming movie Trainwreck, directed by Judd Apatow.
- Nick Offerman (September 20 at 10:00pm): Known as Ron Swanson on NBC's Parks and Recreation, Offerman has been in feature films such as We're The Millers, 21 Jump Street and will be back for the sequel 22 Jump Street this summer. Last year he released his first book titled Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living. Offerman will be bringing his brand new solo show Full Bush to JFL42. He also has a great moustache...
- Joe Rogan (September 26 at 10:00pm): A stand-up comedian for more than 20 years, UFC personality and former Fear Factor host, Joe Rogan has no trouble selling out theatres internationally. Currently preparing to release his third comedy special, Rogan also hosts The Joe Rogan Experience, an award-winning comedy podcast on iTunes
- Wanda Sykes (September 26 at 7:00pm): Universally respected comedian, author and voice artist, Sykes nabbed an Emmy for her writing on HBO's The Chris Rock Show in 1999, and has since been seen in countless films and television series such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Monster- in-Law, Evan Almighty and her own late night talk show on Fox, The Wanda Sykes Show.
Additional festival acts, with more to be announced at a later date, include:
- Tig Notaro: This stand-up comic and writer has been featured on Comedy Central Presents and The Sarah Silverman Program and released her debut comedy album, Good One, in 2011. Notaro received praise from comedic heavyweights such as Louis C.K. for a live show she did in the summer of 2012 in LA, where she addressed her battle with cancer.
- Chelsea Peretti: Peretti can currently be seen on the award-winning Fox comedy series, Brooklyn Nine-Nine. The comedian, actress and writer has also appeared on Louie, Kroll Show and Tosh.0 and has written for Parks and Recreation, SNL and The Sarah Silverman Program.
- Tim Minchin: This British-born Australian comedian, actor and musician is best known for his musical comedy and his guest-starring appearances as Atticus Fetch in Showtime's Californication. In addition to his internationally successful live touring career, Minchin is also responsible for writing the music and lyrics to Matilda The Musical, the critically acclaimed and internationally successful stage adaptation of Roald Dahl's famous book, produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Mike Birbiglia: Comedian, actor, writer and director, Mike Birbiglia has starred in three Comedy Central specials. His second one-man show, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, won Off-Broadway's Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Solo Show in 2011. Birbiglia brings his new show Thank God For Jokes to JFL42 as part of his 100-city tour.
- Doug Benson: Getting his start in 1986, Benson is a stand-up comedian and actor who has appeared on Comedy Central Presents, Best Week Ever and as the subject of the documentary Super High Me. He is the creator of several successful comedy show formats including the Doug Loves Movies podcast and the Benson Movie Interruption, both of which he will be bringing to Toronto as part of JFL42.
- Broad City: Fresh off their win for Best Comedy Series at the Critics' Choice Awards, Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer of the brand-new Comedy Central series, Broad City, are coming to Toronto with their live show for JFL42. Called "sneak attack feminism" by the Wall Street Journal, the series follows two friends in New York City navigating their way through the minutiae that is life.
- Paul F. Tompkins: A comedian, actor and writer, Tompkins is known for his work in television on such programs as Mr. Show with Bob and David, Real Time with Bill Maher and Best Week Ever, later named Best Week ever with Paul F. Tompkins.
- Chris D'Elia: D'Elia is an actor, writer and stand-up comedian. He starred opposite comedian Whitney Cummings on the NBC series Whitney until 2013. D'Elia's first one-hour stand-up special aired on Comedy Central in 2013 and his new NBC show Undateable premiered in May.
- Kumail Nanjiani: Having spent most of 2014 scene-stealing on IFC's Portlandia and HBO's Silicon Valley, it's time for Kumail Nanjiani to do what he does best: mock pop culture, nerd culture and himself on stage! Kumail's been featured in Variety's "Top 10 Comics To Watch", the Hollywood Reporter's "10 Rising Comedy Talents" as well as New York Magazine's "10 Comedians that Funny People Find Funny". He's also appeared on the hit shows VEEP and Franklin and Bash.
- Rory Scovel: Releasing his debut comedy album Dilation in 2011, Scovel is a comedian, actor and writer. Scovel has performed at the Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, and has appeared in the HBO stand-up comedy series Funny as Hell and was just named one of Billboard's "Next Gen L.A. Comedians". He stars in the comedy series Ground Floor, which airs on TBS.
- Nikki Glaser: Glaser first performed stand-up at the age of 18 and shortly after was a semi- finalist on Last Comic Standing. Since then, she has become a regular on the late night shows and the star of her own MTV show Nikki and Sara LIVE.
- Ron Funches: Ron was featured as LA Weekly‘s "Number One Comic to Watch in 2013" and Esquire Magazine's "Best New Comedians List". He has performed on TBS's Conan O'Brien Show, currently stars in NBC's Undateable, and is a writer for The Kroll Show on Comedy Central. Ron has also appeared on IFC's PORTLANDIA.
- Joe DeRosa: As a regular on The Opie and Anthony Show and Red Eye w/Greg Gutfeld, DeRosa is a stand-up comedian and writer. He has also appeared on the hit comedy series Louie and Bored to Death.
- Brody Stevens: This stand-up comedian and actor is best known for the documentary comedy series Brody Stevens: Enjoy It! on HBO which Stevens produced and starred in. Stevens also appeared in The Hangover and The Hangover Part II.
- Andy Kindler: Frequent guest/correspondent on Late Show with David Letterman and contributor to The Daily Show, Kindler's yearly State of the Industry Address and The Alternative Show are staples of the Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal. Kindler is also a regular on Fox's animated hit series Bob's Burgers.
- Cameron Esposito: Comic Cameron Esposito had a memorable late night debut on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in front of both Ferguson and the shows other guest — Jay Leno. Following a great set, Leno dubbed Espositio as the "future of comedy." Esposito is also a regular on Chelsea Lately and at comedy festivals across North America, as well as hosting Put Your Hands Together Tuesdays weekly at UCB Theatre in LA.
Also this year, JFL42 will have a focus on homegrown Canadian as well as local Toronto talent:
- SiriusXM's Top Comic: The eight finalists of the Canada-wide comedy competition will perform live at the Top Comic finale show at JFL42. SiriusXM's Ben Miner will host the show (recorded for broadcast on SiriusXM's Canada Laughs channel 168) featuring the best comedic talent chosen by comedy fans nation-wide this summer. Then, one of the finalists will be crowned SiriusXM's Top Comic by a panel of guest judges. They'll take home the honour and $15,000 cash! Special guest headliner to be announced. Stay tuned...
- Mark Forward: Currently seen as Mr. Leung on the CBC comedy Mr. D, Forward made his first appearance in 2006 at the Just For Laughs Festival where he won the Homegrown Comic Competition. Since then, Forward has appeared on several Just For Laughs television specials, not to mention a breakout performance on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.
- DeAnne Smith: An award-winning comedian, writer and columnist, Smith first gained notice in 2008 while touring her debut full-length solo stand-up show. Recognized by popular and critical acclaim, she won the Sydney Comedy Festival's Best Newcomer Award for her performance.
- Sketch and Improv: Part of the JFL42 line-up this year are standout troupes Tony Ho, Mantown and Peter & Chris.
- New Faces of Comedy, presented by The Grid: New Faces will showcase the best up-and-coming talent from Toronto in the world of stand-up and characters/solo sketch acts. Industry invitees from management companies and agencies from New York, LA and Canadian broadcast companies will be in attendance for these shows alongside the JFL42 pass holders.
- More Homegrown talent: The festival lineup will also feature Canadian Comedy Award winner Sara Hennessey, along with Christina Walkinshaw, Matt O'Brien and 2013 JFL Homegrown Comics Competition Winner Graham Kay.
Local institutions Yuk Yuk's, ALTdotCOMedy Lounge,Comedy Bar, and The Second City will all provide programming for JFL42 and are open to pass holders as part of the 42 Festival acts. Programming details to be announced at a later date.
JFL42 is funded by the Government of Ontario.
*MEDIA NOTE: Media accreditation for JFL42 will open August 1st. Update to follow.
Passes to JFL42 go on sale Friday, June 6 at 11:00am. Charge-by-phone at 1-855-985-5000 or buy online at jfl42.com. Festival passes range from $49 – $299 (excluding service charges).
Established in 2012 and now in its third year, JFL42 is a pass-based interactive comedy Festival in Toronto created by Just For Laughs. Developed with a mandate to celebrate the most hilarious, innovative, riveting and relevant comedy experiences in the world with Toronto audiences, JFL42's unique interactive pass-based ticketing and reservation system makes it the first comedy festival of its kind. In addition to JFL42, Just For Laughs has produced the world's most prestigious comedy festival in Montreal for the past 32 years and in recent years has launched festivals in Sydney (Australia) and Nantes (France).