JUST FOR LAUGHS GROUP:
2020 PROMISES TO REACH MORE FANS THAN EVEN BEFORE
PRODUCES STELLAR YEAR IN 2019 INCLUDING SOLD-OUT PERFORMANCES WITH JOHN MULANEY,
TREVOR NOAH, CAROL BURNETT, SEBASTIAN MANISCALCO, JIM JEFFERIES, THE CAST OF SCHITT’S
CREEK, LEGENDS STEVE MARTIN & MARTIN SHORT, ILIZA SHLESINGER PLUS MANY MORE.
Montreal, January 16th, 2020 —As we look ahead in 2020, the Just For Laughs Group has begun delighting international audiences with JFL Bermuda (January 8-11, 2020) and JFL NorthWest (Vancouver, February 13-25, 2020). In addition, with the beginning of 2020, we have done a review of the preceding year. Our 2019 highlights include festivals JFL Montreal (July 10-28, 2019), the world’s biggest comedy festival; JFL42 (Toronto, September 19-29, 2019); JFL Sydney (Australia, October 28 to November 3, 2019); and JFL Touring and Concerts shows.
‘’Our mission is to spread laughter worldwide. We are truly an international player; we are one of the largest producers and broadcasters of comedy shows in the world with numerous successful events at home and abroad,” said Charles Décarie, Just For Laughs Group’s President & CEO.‘’
Bruce Hills, Just For Laughs’s President added: “JFL has cemented itself as the leading premium comedy producer by creating the most successful international comedy festivals, and sold out national stand-up tours. Since the Group’s acquisition in 2018 along with the addition of our President & CEO, Charles Décarie, we have accomplished impressive benchmark successes. We have exciting plans for 2020 and beyond for which we look forward to sharing in the weeks ahead.”
FESTIVALS AT BEGINNING OF 2020
- JFL Bermuda returned from the 8th to the 11th of January 2020. The 14th edition of Bermuda’s funniest event was hosted by perennial favorite and honorary islander, Alonzo Bodden, and featured a new solo show 2Soon from Donnell Rawlings. The event also featured The Daily Show ’s Ronny Chieng, SiriusXM’s Top Comic 2019 winner Adam Christie, and JFL favourite Tammy Pescatelli.
- JFL NorthWest is returning for a fifth year from the 13th to the 25th of February 2020 in Vancouver. Anticipated as being our biggest edition to date in respect to shows and attendance, the Festival will put on more than 115 shows, including Bill Burr, Hannah Gadsby, Middleditch & Schwartz, Patton Oswalt, Margaret Cho, Jay Pharoah and How Did This Get Made? podcast. Additional programming will be announced in the coming weeks, including more stand-up, podcasts, In-Conversations, Industry Panels, comedy films, outdoor programming and more.
Below are recent JFL 2019 highlights:
JFL MONTREAL– 37th edition
- 25 sold-out shows including Hart to Heart from Kevin Hart and the world-renowned comedy discovery showcase New Faces. Notably, huge success for Loud and Clear from Trevor Noah (Bell Centre), Michael McIntyre’s Big Word Tour from Michael McIntyre (Théâtre Maisonneuve) and Certain Woman of An Age from Margaret Trudeau (Le Gesù).
- OFF-JFL, JFL’s alternative edgy sibling that presents alt-comedy in intimate venues, was glad to receive the talented Cameron Esposito, The Lucas Brothers, Nicole Byer, Alonzo Bodden, Andrew Santino, Adam Cayton-Holland, Adam Conover, among others.
- For its 12th edition, ComedyPRO gathered the industry’s most influential tastemakers and decision-makers, along with leading comedy creators and aficionados to talk all things comedy for the prestigious four-day event. Famed Just For Laughs Awards Show which hosted the prestigious comedians Kevin Hart, Jim Jefferies, Hasan Minhaj, Amanda Seales and Nick Kroll.
JFL42(Toronto) - 8th edition
- More sold-out headliner shows than ever before and record number of 12 headliner shows. Headliners John Mulaney and Pete Davidson, Gabriel Iglesias and hit podcast How Did This Get Made? all performed to sold-out crowds at the Meridian Hall (formerly the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts). Other headliners include Queer Eye’s Jonathan Van Ness, comedians Nick Kroll, Marc Maron, Eric Andre and an In Conversation with “Broad City”.
- Special events including Carol Burnett’s An Evening of Laughter and Reflection (Meridian Hall) and Margaret Trudeau’s four-show run of Certain Woman of an Age de Margaret Trudeau (Jane Mallett Theatre).
- 42 ComedyCon events, a series of events especially for comedy fans.
JFL SYDNEY- 9th edition
- A sold-out show with legends Steve Martin and Martin Short at the ICC Sydney arena.
- The annual All-Star gala hosted by Australia’s own Dave Hughes and featuring special guests Judith Lucy and the special encore reunion of duo Lano and Woodley.
- For the 7th year, Just For Laughs Australia was presented at the Studio Theatre at the Sydney Opera House and taped with a live audience for a 10-part series that will air on Foxtel’s Comedy Channel and Network 10 in 2020.
JFL TOURING AND CONCERTS
- JFL’s touring arm produced and promoted over 149 touring shows in Canada starting the year with four sold-out shows with Trevor Noah at the Meridian Hall in January. From theatre presentations with artists and podcasters, such as Steve Martin and Martin Short, Amy Schumer, Bert Kreischer, Tom Segura, Iliza Schlesinger, Aziz Ansari, My Favourite Murder, Marc Maron, the cast of Schitt’s Creek, Middleditch & Schwartz, to arena shows with Jim Gaffigan, Adam Sandler, Trevor Noah and Sebastian Maniscalco, Just For Laughs kept Canadians laughing all year long.
- Just For Laughs Comedy Night in Canada astarred Canada’s own Rick Mercer as the host of this stellar all Canadian lineup with 2018 Juno Award winner for comedy album of the year Ivan Decker; host of CBC and SiriusXM’s Laugh Out Loud the hilarious Ali Hassan; runner-up in SiriusXM’s Top Comic Competition, Sophie Buddle; and Gemini Awardwinning comedian Debra DiGiovanni delighting audiences from coast-to-coast. Partnered with Movember and CIBC, this year’s edition of the tour has raised over $30,000 for Movember Canada in support of men’s health.
- The best in international talent won over Canadian audiences coast to coast, including notably Scottish sensation Danny Bhoy who returned with his fourth sold-out cross-Canada tour performing to over 30,000 people coast to coast.
ABOUT THE JUST FOR LAUGHS GROUP
Founded in 1983, the Just For Laughs Group’s growth is concentrated on three major focal points: festivals (in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver and Sydney, Australia); television production and stand-up specials (most notably Gags, seen in 150 countries and on 100 airlines); and live shows (Canadian tour dates for Jerry Seinfeld, Trevor Noah, Kevin Hart, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, Sebastian Maniscalco, John Mulaney, Jimmy Carr, Danny Bhoy, Amy Schumer and North American dates for John Cleese & Eric Idle, to name a few). The Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, which celebrated its 37th edition in 2019, is the world’s largest and most prestigious comedy event, welcoming more than 2 million people each summer.
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
(514) 854 3440 x2067